Exploring Character Strengths: Perspective and Appreciation of Beauty
Perspective and Appreciation of Beauty.
Welcome to the world of Character strengths. In this series of Blogs we are looking at each of the 24 VIA Character strengths and how you might apply them to a healthy lifestyle. If you would like to lean more about Mindfulness and Character Strengths, or you are interested in having us run a Mindfulness and Character Strengths course at your workplace or club then check out our MBSP page here. If you would like to take the free VIA survey for yourself and see which Strengths are your Signature Strengths then click, HERE, or on the link to the VIA survey at the bottom of this page.
In this blog we are looking at the Character Strengths of Perspective and Appreciation of Beauty.
“Perspective means the ability to see the bigger picture in life. Perspective is about being able to see the forest as well as the trees, to avoid getting wrapped up in the small details when there are bigger issues to consider. While listening to others, perspective helps you to simultaneously think about life lessons, proper conduct, and what’s best for the situation being discussed. This ability to look at systems as a whole, or to think in big terms, helps you to offer good advice. Perspective is distinct from intelligence but represents a high level of knowledge, the capacity to give advice and to recognise and weight multiple sides before making decisions. It allows the individual to address important questions about the conduct and meaning of life.” The VIA Institute 
People high in perspective know that there is no such thing at the perfect diet or training plan. They know everyone is different and that it is better to get things right 6 days out of 7 rather than beating yourself up because one you your days did not go to plan and then abandoning the whole plan. They are adaptable and can flourish well over the long hall. Short term goals and tight parameters don´t suite them, unless they are part of a bigger, long term picture. Th following approaches to health fit well with the person high in perspective.
- Weigh yourself every day. Keep a record of your weekly averages and low and high spikes. You are less likely to get freaked out by the daily ups and downs of the scale as long as the weekly trends are going in the direction you want.
- Make long term goals and break them up into smaller pieces that you can go after step by step towards the bigger goal.
- Make time to meditate. You know it makes sense.
- Remember down time is important. It is better to rest and go again than it is to just keep slogging away.
- Look for periodised training plans, involving periods of strength, training, hypertrophy training and HIIT training.
- Pick classes that are fun and allow for some personal differences.
- Keep journals and track your success over time. You will enjoy doing it and will be fascinated by the patterns that emerge.
- Success is out there. When others stop or burn out you can keep going because you known failure is just a stepping stone to success.
Perspective in Action.
Appreciation of Beauty
“Those who express an appreciation of beauty & excellence notice and appreciate beauty, excellence and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.“ The VIA Institute
The Strength of, Appreciation of Beauty, can take many forms. It can be the love of what we see or feel. It can be the joy found in perfect movement, or we the well constructed thought or argument. Beauty can be found in the virtues or morals of oneself and others. Wherever it lies, seek it out. Those strong in Appreciation of beauty can often recognise a well balances plan or diet and will quickly recognise when either is not quite right. The following health tips will fit well with anyone strong in this strength.
- Practice Yoga. Follow the flow of the movements, the precision of the individual positions and the stillness of the mind.
- Learn to dance.
- If you are following a diet, create beautiful meals or beautifully balanced meals.
- Take up nature photography. Seek out the beauty in this word and capture something of it.
- Meditate outdoors, where you can feel your immersion in the landscape.
- Practice mindful walking.
- Weight train to create balance and power in your body.
- Kayak at sunrise.
- Scuba dive to see the wonders of the deep.