Exploring Character Strengths: Zest and Perseverance.
Zest and Perseverance.
Welcome to the world of Character strengths. In this series of Blogs we are looking at each of the 24 VIA Character Strengths and how you might apply them to a healthy lifestyle. If you would like to lean more about Character Strengths, then check out our MBSP page here. If you would like the take the free VIA survey for yourself and see which Strengths are your Signature Strengths then click here or on the link to the VIA survey at the bottom of this page.
In this months blog we are looking at the Character Strengths of Zest And Perseverance.
“Zest is a dynamic strength that is directly related to physical and psychological wellness. This strength has strong ties to overall life satisfaction and a life of engagement. So in that regard we are starting with a really easy and obvious Strength.” The VIA Institute 
People high in Zest tend to have lots of energy, physical and mental. Tap into that and make your exercise fun. If you are strong in Zest and want to engage with a more healthy living lifestyle then get out there are have fun with these top tips.
- Try out different types of classes and training styles.
- Look at walking and running clubs and team sports too.
- Get a bike and try getting out into the open air as often as you can.
- If you are just going through the motions try and focus in on the parts that get you excited and put more energy in to them.
- Seek out Mud runs and charity events.
- Look for adventure in your exercises and hobbies.
Zest in action
“Perseverance involves the voluntary continuation of a goal-directed action despite the presence of challenges, difficulties, and discouragement. There are two vectors of perseverance. It requires both effort for a task and duration to keep the task up.” The VIA Institute 
If you have Perseverance as one of your Signature Strengths then you have the natural in build ability to push on to success while others around you are falling by the wayside. If you are high in Perseverance and are working on improving your healthy lifestyle then dig into this list of top Perseverance tips.
- Keep a training diary.
- Keep a food diary.
- Chart your success and you steps towards you goals.
- Look at where you are getting things right and focus on doing more of them.
- Look at where you are getting things wrong and see where you can make small changes and start getting them right.
- Look to see if you are doing something hat is holding you back. if so drop it.
Perseverance in Action
If you would be interested is finding out more about Mindfulness and Character strengths or you would like us to run an MBSP course at your workplace or club check out our MBSP page here.